Place and date of birth: Budapest, Hungary,
Institute for Geological and Geochemical Research, Research Centre for Astronomy and Earth Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences (1980-)
Eszterházy Károly University, Dept. of Natural Geography and Geoinformatics, 3300 Eger, Leányka str. 6/C, Hungary (2014-)
Position: scientific adviser, senior research fellow
- diploma in geology (ELTE TTK, 1980)
- Dr. univ. (geochemistry, József Attila University, Szeged, 1983)
- "candidate of geosciences" (Ph.D., MTA TMB 1992)
- doctor of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (D.Sc., MTA, 2010)
Languages: English, intermediate; Russian, basic
during university years:
- sedimentary petrology
- laser spectroscopy of minerals
- canning electron microscopy of minerals
in the Laboratory for Geochemical Research:
- electron microprobe studies on various ores (manganese ores, bauxites,
- geochemistry of sedimentary manganese ore deposits
- black shales
- natural zeolites
- cathodoluminescence methods
- member of the Hungarian Geological Society (1980-)
- secretary of the Hungarian National Committee of IGCP (International
Geological Correlation Programme) (1994-2000)
- IAGOD member (International Association of Geology of Ore
- IAGC member (International Association of GeoChemistry) (2008-)
- secretary of Scientific Committee „Geonomy” of Hungarian
Academy of Sciences (2008-)
- Editor on field of geomicrobiology, Open Geology, (2014-)
Participation in international research programmes:
IGCP (International Geological Correlation Programme)
Project No. 111. (Genesis of Manganese Ore Deposits) 1980-1985.
IGCP Project No. 226. (Correlation of Manganese
Sedimentation to Paleoenvironments) 1986-1991.
IGCP Project No. 254. (Metalliferous Black Shales)
l987-1992. as the leader of the Hungarian working group
IGCP Project No. 318. (Genesis and Correlation of Marine
Polymetallic Oxides) 1992-1996 as the leader of the Hungarian working
IGCP Project No. 357. (Organics and Mineral Deposits)
IGCP Project No. 429. (Organics in Major Environmental
Issues) 1998-2002. as the leader of the Hungarian working group
Hungarian Science Foundation
OTKA 4067 (1991-1994)
OTKA 032140 (2000-2003).
OTKA M 045792 (2003)
OTKA-NKTH T K 68992 (2007-2011)
Rajabzadeh MA, Haddad F, Polgári M, Fintor K, Walter H, Molnár Z, Gyollai I (2017) Investigation on the role of microorganisms in manganese mineralization from Abadeh-Tashk area, Fars Province, southwestern Iran by using petrographic and geochemical data. Ore Geology Reviews 80. 229-249.
Bodor S, Polgári M, Szentpétery I, Földessy J (2016) Microbially mediated iron ore formation, Silicic Superunit, Rudabánya, Hungary. Ore Geology Reviews 72. 391-401.
Molnár Z, Polgári M, Hein JR, Józsa S, Fekete J, Gyollai I, Fintor K, Bíró L, Szabó M, Rapi S, Forgó P, Vigh T (2016) Fe-Mn oxide indications in the feeder and mound zone of the Jurassic Mn-carbonate ore deposit, Úrkút, Hungary. Ore Geology Reviews, in Press
Polgári M, Németh T, Pál-Molnár E, Futó I, Vigh T, Mojzsis JS (2016) Correlated chemostratigraphy of Mn-carbonate microbialites (Úrkút, Hungary). Gondwana Research 29. 278-289.
Polgári M, Hein JR, Bíró L, Gyollai I, Németh T, Sajgó C, Fekete J, Schwark L, Pál-Molnár E, Hámor-Vidó M, Vigh T (2016) Mineral and chemostratigraphy of a Toarcian black shale hosting Mn-carbonate microbialites (Úrkút, Hungary). Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 459. 99-120.